Rigor Vitae: Life Unyielding

Thursday, March 30, 2006

SOME GOOD NEWS ON THE CONDOR FRONT

A quick update is in order to the overview that I posted the other day of the California Condor (Gymnogyps californianus) reintroduction project now underway in the American Southwest. Although these birds are notoriously slow breeders, and wild fledgings are still nowhere near replacement levels, they are definitely on the increase. The summer of 2004 saw a new peak, with two birds fledged, one in the Grand Canyon, and one at the Vermilion Cliffs.

Yesterday it was announced that a condor in Big Sur appears to have laid an egg inside a cavity in a redwood tree. The pair, two of 38 condors currently populating Central California, has been observed guarding the cavity constantly since Monday. The last recorded nesting of Condors in the area was an egg collected in 1905.
Thanks to Neil Kelley.
illustration: CALIFORNIA CONDOR (2005) oil ceiling mount 96" x 72"

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's great news!

By the way, do you sell prints of your paintings?

11:51 AM  
Blogger Carel Brest van Kempen said...

Hi Roger: My work is published by Mill Pond Press of Venice, Florida. I don't know of any distribution in the UK off hand. Here is a page with my current available prints.

7:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a regular customer now :) I am from the UK and am a blogger but don't want to give away my site:

I think that your paintings should be recognised by art galleries, they combine amazing realism with intricate detail and cartoony-like style (like the owl in Carnival Art 1 post) If you draw a shark I will really like it (sorry for requesting again)

And that's great news for nature

7:21 AM  
Blogger Carel Brest van Kempen said...

Thanks Hamzah. I'm glad you like my work. I think you found the link I sent to you. I believe you'll enjoy that, too.

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leaving Big Sur yesterday I passed Condor # 51 sitting on the granite wall of southbound hwy. 1. They just don't seem to have much "street smarts".
Bruce

12:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home