Rigor Vitae: Life Unyielding

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

ANOTHER QUIZ

Grab your field guides, it's quiz time again. Last month's puzzler turned out to be easier than I expected; Clare barely gave me time to punch the "publish" button before correctly identifying it, with several correct responses following quickly behind him. This time, then, we'll try something devoid of feathers -- still, not a terribly hard one. The creature in the photo above is typical of its species. The first person to comment with the correct species before the end of May 6th will receive a pencil drawing of the subject of their choice. Good luck!
_____________________
photo by CPBvK

4 Comments:

Blogger Neil said...

Hmmm...Cyclanorbis um.... elegans? It's hard to tell if the prefrontal is touching the vomer or not in that picture....

11:30 AM  
Blogger Neil said...

Doh! I just stumbled across the answer, but I had my shot. Looks like I need to take remedial turtle identification again!

5:51 PM  
Anonymous Andrew R. said...

I believe the answer is ... (crossing fingers) ... the Senegal flapshell turtle - Cyclanorbis senegalensis. If this is correct, I owe a debt to Neil, as he led me on the right path, and substantially less research.

8:21 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Okay, since Cyclanorbis is already taken and a flap isn't clear on your posted pic I'm going to throw Trionyx triunguis into the mix even though the coloration may not be correct.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home