Rigor Vitae: Life Unyielding

Friday, June 22, 2007

QUETZALCOATL, THE CREATOR


Anyone who's paid me a visit during the past 37 years has seen this rug, which has graced my floor whenever I've had a floor during that time. It depicts the famous Aztecan god Quetzalcoatl, who was often regarded as one of the four Tezcatlipocas, designers of the universe. The rug originally lay next to its twin, in the room I shared with my brother as a boy. Twenty years later, my brother's San Francisco apartment was burgled, and his rug was lost. The rugs were designed and hooked by our Mother, Woodie Ann Brest van Kempen, who was born Woodie Ann van Cott, seventy years ago today. Growing up surrounded by her creations, the floral rugs in our sister's room, the stained glass windows, carved wood doors, countless ceramic pots and hand-made tiles, the porcupine bas-relief out front, and all the weavings, is probably the main factor to blame for the fact that all three kids grew up creating, me, my brother the conceptual artist, and my sister the tv producer. Mom was one of the founders of the Utah Weaver's Guild, as well as the This Is the Place Heritage Park, which began a noteworthy career as a historian and museum professional, a discipline that still keeps her busy. Happy Birthday, Mom!

4 Comments:

Blogger Camera Trap Codger said...

That's a fine carpet. Reminds me of the Tibetan prayer carpets before the designs were modernized for European tourists. Obviously Mom's artistic genes passed on to the children.

BTW, I got a good belly laugh if that was your comment on TetZoo yesterday.

8:16 PM  
Blogger Darren Naish said...

Congrats Carel - I've just awarded you with a Thinking Blogger Award, for which you get your own snazzy little icon thing: go here to find out more. The post in which I gave you the award can be found here.

8:42 AM  
Blogger Darren Naish said...

Oh, and I've also just tagged you with the 'why do I blog?' meme: my article nominating you can be found here, and the meme tracker that shows the spread of the thread can be found here.

8:55 AM  
Blogger burning silo said...

Lovely carpet, and a wonderful artistic legacy that your mother has passed on to you and your brother and sister.

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home