Rigor Vitae: Life Unyielding

Monday, July 31, 2006

LIFE: A JOURNEY THROUGH TIME

I don't think it's hyperbole to call my friend Frans Lanting the best nature photographer around; I don't know another who equals him. He and his wife Chris Eckstrom, a fine nature writer, have collaborated on many books and other projects, and over the past few years they've been focused on an undertaking of unprecedented ambition: a book on the history of life on earth.

The book, LIFE A Journey Through Time, is finally finished, and will be released in September. Not satisfied with presenting the concept through the book medium alone, Frans has also collaborated with minimalist composer Philip Glass to create a multimedia event which premiered Saturday night in his home town of Santa Cruz. An exhibition of photographs will also open in September at Naturalis, the National Museum of Natural History in Leiden, the Netherlands, and begin a world tour from there.
_____________________
UPDATE--Aug. 10: I received a copy of the book this morning, and am happy to report that it's magnificent. Highly recommended, and well worth the price!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've added it to my Amazon wishlist, so maybe Santa will be kind...

3:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another expensive book I HAVE to get!

And probably the music too...

9:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up, I will be looking for this one. I really like Frans' work.

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home