Rigor Vitae: Life Unyielding

Monday, May 12, 2008

ONE WORLD, MANY STORIES


Last Saturday, May 10, was Community Chalk-drawing Day in the Salt Lake City Public Library System. At each branch (save the main one), a local artist was invited to create a sidewalk drawing depicting a story from his/her life, and encourage others to join in. I took my post at the library in the neighborhood of Sugarhouse, and decided at the last minute to draw a composite of several childhood memories of wild animal sightings/captures. Never having worked in the medium of sidewalk chalk, I struggled some. I love to contrast value in my work. I always found the Impressionists' use of nothing but color temperature to give space to their work impressive, but boring, and painting in a single uniform value is a challenge for me, but a seriously positive exercise.
The best part of the day, though, was watching the work of others take shape. Below are some of my favorites.
"Octopus Man" teams up with a hedgehog to threaten the Plumridges' family crest.
A young photographer's tools, Snoopy, a penguin, and a wonderfully graceful (maneating?) plant.

Utah has been a dance Mecca for many decades, and there's no sign of that changing.
Two small but ambitious and skilled boys drew an entire reef community.

Hallie's parents should keep a watchful eye when Ringling Bros. come to town.
Commuting in the early 21st Century.
For many kids, pets constitute a major aspect of life.



5 Comments:

Blogger pilgrimchick said...

That is a very cool idea--illustrating one's "life" on the sidewalk like that. That might be something worth pursuing out here, too, I think.

4:45 PM  
Blogger naturegirl said...

This looks like a lot of fun. I don't know if you remember, but when our group was going from FL to SEWE, we all drew on the stairway in chalk we found outside of a small grocery store. We did not do drawings as much as just put down our words of wisdom. Yours was much better than the rest of us. But that goes without saying!!!

7:38 AM  
Blogger Carel Brest van Kempen said...

Not only do I remember it now, Vikki, I remembered it while at work last Saturday, and repeated my lame gag of that day in Florida. I remembered it as a diner, though, not a grocery store. We'll have to get some corroboration to see whose right.

8:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your work is amazing, especially for you beginning this new medium. It was a great opportunity working next to you. I took some pictures that you can feel free to do with whatever you may of your work:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/thezoed/IMG_9884.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/thezoed/IMG_9914.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/thezoed/IMG_9930.jpg
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b360/thezoed/IMG_9905.jpg

also, feel free to visit my gallery if you get a chance. its a bit different than the stuff you do, but art in its own right:
http://thezed.deviantart.com

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm.. it seems those cut off. sorry about that.

try this instead:

http://thezoed.googlepages.com/sidewalk

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home